The Waikato Kidney Clinic is led by Dr Kannaiyan Rabindranath (known as ‘Rabi’ to my patients, friends and colleagues), a highly experienced renal specialist currently working as a consultant nephrologist at Waikato Hospital.
I am passionate about improving the patient experience, and believe a personal rapport with patients is an essential part of the therapeutic relationship.
The nature of renal medicine means I often have a life-long relationship with my patients, and I am well known for going the extra mile for people in my care.
After completion of my MBBS in India, I moved to the UK and worked in various locations in the NHS for almost 15 years, including as a PhD research fellow in Aberdeen.
I completed my renal and internal medicine registrar training in Oxford, before working as a consultant in the UK for two more years.
In July 2012, I moved to New Zealand to take up a position at Waikato Hospital, where I still work as a consultant nephrologist.
After several years I established the Waikato Kidney Clinic in the Hamilton Lake area, bringing my skill set to the private medical sector.
I have been actively involved in clinical research since 2002, when I joined the University of Aberdeen as a clinical research fellow to do my PhD. My doctorate was in the use of systematic reviews (synthesis of data from clinical trials) to improve the care of patients with chronic kidney disease.
I have been published extensively in major high-impact renal journals and am a peer reviewer for a number of them. I have written chapters on dialysis related topics in a major textbook on nephrology. I am also the national lead for several major industry sponsored drug trials, and one of the New Zealand representatives in the Australasian Kidney Trials Network, the primary body of triallists involved in the design and conduct of non-industry sponsored clinical trials in Australia and New Zealand.
- MBBS – The TamilNadu Dr.MGR Medical University, Chennai India – 1997.
- MRCP (UK) – Royal College of Physicians (London) – 2000.
- PhD – University of Aberdeen, Scotland, UK – 2010.
- Completion of Certificate of Training (Nephrology and Internal Medicine, Oxford Specialist Training Programme) – UK.
- FRACP – 2015.
- Vocational (Specialist in Internal Medicine) – Medical Council of New Zealand.
- Fellow – Royal Australasian College of Physicians.
- Member – Royal College of Physicians (UK).
- Member – Australia and New Zealand Society of Nephrology (ANZSN).
- Member – American Society of Nephrology.
- Member – European Renal Association.
- Member – International Society of Nephrology.